Opioids use has risen sharply in recent years due to what is believed to be over prescription. These drugs are used as painkillers that also can be addictive.
- The increase in opioid addictions has also led to an increase in opioid-related deaths. These painkillers were responsible for killing 183,000 people from overdoses between 1999 and 2015.
- Opioid painkillers are in the same class of drugs as heroin. They work by reducing the number of pain signals received by the brain from the body.
An opioid related class action lawsuit investigation has been opened to look at several drugs that include:
- Actiq (fentanyl)
- Astropmorph (morphine)
- Avinza (morphine)
- Dilaudid (hydromorphone)
- Diskets (methadone)
- Dolophine (methadone)
- Duragesic (fentanyl)
- Endocet (oxycodone)
- Exalgo (hydromorphone)
- Fentora (fentanyl)
- Kadian (morphine)
- Lorcet (hydrocodone/acetaminophen)
- Lortab (hydrocodone/acetaminophen)
- MS Contin (morphine)
- Methodose (methadone)
- Norco (hydrocodone/acetaminophen)
- Ora-Morph SR (morphine)
- OxyContin (oxycodone)
- Percocet (oxycodone)
- Roxicet (oxycodone)
- Vicodin (hydrocodone/acetaminophen)
Opioid Abuse Injuries
Opioid use can lead to injury as well. The FDA required warning includes the following injuries linked to opioid abuse:
- Serotonin Syndrome: Serotonin Syndrome occurs when the serotonin levels in the body is too high, leading to serious problems such as severe fevers, seizures, and muscle rigidity. If not treated, it can be fatal.
- Androgen Deficiency: Opioid abuse is linked to a reduction of the amount of the hormone androgen, which aids in a person’s sex drive and sexual functioning.
- Adrenal Insufficiency: Opioid abuse can also affect the adrenal glands’ ability to produce the hormone cortisol, which is vital for cardiovascular functioning, blood pressure maintenance, and the metabolism of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates.
Please do not attempt to determine if you have a compensable case. You must consult a relevant liability attorney who has the expertise and extensive knowledge necessary to determine who ultimately caused the harm and injuries you or a loved one suffered. Contact us for a free case evaluation here.